Blow Painting Art DIY
Blow painting is such a fun art project for kids of all ages! There is something about using an unconventional way of moving paint around a page that gets kids every time—it hooks even the most reluctant creators. And it happens to result in a pretty cool piece of abstract art too.
- Large piece of sturdy paper (our Artist Pad works great!)
- Eyedropper or paint brush
- A few recyclables to hold paint
1. Dilute paint -- pick a few colors of paint that go well together and add a bit of each color to a recycled container. Add a bit of water and mix well—the goal is to dilute it enough that it will move easily around the paper without dulling the colors too much.
2. Drop paint + blow -- use the eye dropper or paint brush to drop paint around the page and then blow paint around page using the straw. Experiment with combining colors and different air pressures to create a variety of movement.
3. Let dry fully -- once you've added as many layers as you'd like, let the painting dry fully flat to preserve your shapes.
If you're looking to take this project to the next level, use additional art supplies to turn the abstract shapes into more concrete objects. Try adding some googley eyes to create fun monsters (our Supply Library has a bunch of fun colors of eyes to use). Sketch a background using our Washable Markers to create a scene—trees and under the sea are personal favorites. Go wherever your imagination takes you!
* * *
Explore how your lungs work with this STEAM-approved DIY!
Spread some colorful love with our DIY Air Dry Clay Rainbows!
Get crafty and create a custom birthday sign for your next Birthday Party Parade